More work goes into a professional photo than you may think. Lighting, clothing, make-up, hair, accessories, colour palates—the list goes on! However, achieving the perfect shot doesn’t have to be stressful.
Stephanie Cragg Photography is our go-to for professional photos. Here are some tips Stephanie has shared with us that we thought you might find useful too!
Professional Photo Do’s
Check out Ashley’s professional photo as an example of what you should choose:
• Solid clothing colours
• Clean, wrinkle free clothing that fits you properly
• A hairstyle that keeps your hair away from your face
• Jewelry that is small and simple
• Standard business attire (suit jacket, dress shirt, and tie) or casual business attire (jacket and open dress shirt) depending how your organization wants to present themselves
• A modest V-neck to lengthen the neck and blouses with sleeves
Professional Photo Do Not’s
When you’re getting ready for the spotlight, here are some things you should remember to avoid:
• Patterns, checks, and stripes
• Logos, graphics, and text
• Red as the dominant colour
• Turtlenecks (they crowd the face)
• Tops in your flesh tone such as: hazel, cream, beige, pastels, peach, and yellow (these colours will blend into your face and clothes)
• A white shirt (unless you plan to wear something under it)
• Distracting elements such as: oversized buttons, bows, or adornments on clothing
• Glittery, frosted, or shimmery make-up
• Bold statement jewelry (as it will date your photo)
Here are a few additional tips from Stephanie:
• Apply a light lip balm just before the shoot.
• Have your own touch up powder or blotting paper handy if you tend to get a shiny face.
• Predetermine whether a warm smile or more serious expression is appropriate for your profession (you can even practice in the mirror beforehand to ensure that the perfect shot will land on the camera roll).
Whether you are booking professional photos for your staff or you are an employee with a photo shoot scheduled in the near future, these photo tips are sure to help you get the professional look you’re after!